Here's some photo's of Barry Chantler's Dakar 440. Basically its a 440 Chrysler big
block (Mopar) as fitted to 60/70's muscle cars, this uses a Torqueflyte TF727 which
bolts straight up to the LT230 -
It was this car that I saw at a show over ten years ago -
Apart from that massive engine, the rest of the driveline is standard. Although it has to be said, its hardly been used since it was built.
You may also notice that it has nitrous fitted to it -
Its unique feature is the flip front; The body has been especially reinforced around
the area of the cut -
But the big ends were shot:
After removing one Main bearing cap in-
That's a weight of my nose!
And indeed the mains were shot also:
So full stripdown, clean and rebuild is required:
Rebuild 3rd Oct
Spent the last week or so, slowly rebuilding the bottom end. Because the block was
so nice and shiny, each bit needed cleaning and painting before refitting. The sump
had about 1/2" of thick grease like goo in the sump that took considerable cleaning
Bores were just honed, marginal but acceptable.
Sump has been heavily modified from the original (only the top lip is original) -
My homemade parts washer has been busy.
My son loves helping!
Just cleaned the valves up and fitted new stem seals.
I checked that the timing marks are correct with a dial-
, Engine complete and refitted, ancillaries now being cleaned,painted and refitted.
A few more steps on. Radiator back in, all fluid lines cleaned and refitted. Exhausts
back on. Once that was done, several hours of trying to reverse engineer the wiring
to work out where everything is supposed to go. The starter relay was wired completely
wrongly and many of the connectors were loose and corroded. Engine will now crank
and I get a spark if i spin the dizzy round -
The Holley 4150 carb was rebuilt using a barry grant rebuild kit -
He he, Last time I stripped a holley carb down I turned into something much more
Anyway here is the money shot, before and after:
Nitrous kit stripped, cleaned and refitted (I tested all the solenoids and they work
Rocker covers are a fashion disaster -
Carb back on, drained all the old fuel out the tank also. Oil system primed with
electric drill -
Another afternoon in the shed. Igntion leads were cleaned and new boots fitted. Then more electrical problems that needed looking at.
Here's the list of electric problems ive fixed:
Oil Warning light didn't work
front loom connector broken and coroded
Oil pressure gauge didn't work
Battery charge light didn't work
Battery terminal posts missing
Battery earths all bad, temporily fixed -
Circuit to bypass the ballast resistor during cranking
Igntion system rewire
25/11/2007 Its finished.
Well its all back together and runs. Neighbours came out within 30 seconds to complain
Unfortunately this car was involved in a tragic accident which killed the owner of Dakar Designs & Conversions (Steve Bennett). My thoughts are with his partner Tory and their respective families.